Images

DSC_0095

Here is an image I took for my magazine, I wasn’t sure how I wanted my front cover image to look like at first so I decided to play around and experiment with the camera by doing a wide range of shots such as medium shots & close ups, I also got my model to try out different poses so I would have a lot to choose from.

I decided I wanted my front cover image to be outside, as it gave off a summery vibe, and my magazine was based on summer fashion! So I chose this image for my front cover: DSC_0099I didn’t really need to do much editing to the photograph, so all I did was removed a few spots from my model’s face using Photoshop and also removed any unnecessary hair on her face/ around her eyebrows. I then cropped the image using the ‘crop tool’ in order for the image to fit in the Indesign template. I then put an effect on the background just to make the trees & plants greener, I did this to brighten up the picture and give it a more summery theme. Once I began creating my front cover I needed to think of a name for my magazine, which I had previously carried out via audience research and my chosen name was ‘Blush’ I now needed to find a font to best suit a fashion/ beauty magazine, I wanted the font to appeal and stand out to teenagers these were fonts I found and liked:

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 15.04.41Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 15.05.35Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 15.06.45Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 15.05.55

After gathering feedback from an audience of 16-24 year olds, the most liked font was the top one called ‘Orange Juice’ So I therefore used that font.

I then began by adding cover lines and common codes and conventions of a magazine front cover such as a bar code, date and price. Because my background was bright and not just one plain colour it was hard to find a suitable colour for my heading and cover lines, originally I chose a blue simple font for my cover lines which looked like this: Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.46.27.png However I felt like the cover lines looked unprofessional and silly, so after trying out many different fonts I finally chose one which overall looked 10x better,. I found that black suited best for my heading and sub heading then after many changed I chose blue for my cover lines, here is my final front cover:

 

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.45.03.png

After completing my front cover I could then start my first double page spread, I began by removing the spots on my model’s face again and then made sure the background was one colour. I decided to have the colour scheme black and pink, I knew my main target audience would be teenage girls so I thought pink would be a good colour to choose as it’d appeal to most girls. After choosing my font I encountered an issue, as when I tried to add symbols or punctuation the font would turn into a black rectangle box:

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.46.46.png Meaning I could not add any punctuation, however this was a risk I was willing to take.

My first double page spread was ’10 beauty mistakes you didn’t realise you were making’ the direct address in the title grabs the readers attention straight away, as it makes you want to read the article to find out these ‘mistakes’ you are apparently making. I wanted to add numbers for each mistake and make them really stand out so it was clear to my readers the order of mistakes. I also think by adding the huge bright numbers it makes the page less dull and more enticing to read. However when I had finished my first double page spread I tried exporting the Indesign file onto Moodle and it said ‘Font could not be exported’ which meant that one of my chosen fonts would not export this meant I had to change the fonts, here is the difference between both fonts:Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.44.11.png (Original design)

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.45.40.png (Final design)

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.46.02.png

 

I started my second double page spread by inserting two image text boxes at opposite sides of the magazine which looked like this:

 

I then chose my two images and once again blemished out spots/ unnecessary hairs on my model’s face. I decided to have a pale pink background, keeping it simple and not too much and then had black writing and blue writing for my interview questions. To structure each question and answer I decided to draw a frame around each one, making it look a lot more neat and pleasant.

 

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.46.53.png Here is my two images inserted. In the first box on the left side of the double page spread I added a small section on 2016 summer trends which included things such as ‘The off the shoulder crop top’ which is then illustrated by the model in both pictures to show the reader an example of one of these trends. I included an ‘Exclusive Interview’ with a makeup artist telling us her top makeup & beauty tips/ hacks. I tried to keep the language of the interview chatty and funny, I did this because I knew it would appeal to the target audience of 16-24 year olds.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.43.13.png  Here is the list of fonts I used for my second double page spread, I used ‘Arial Black’ ‘School Bully’ and ‘STSong”

My final second page spread looks like this: Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.44.36.png

 

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 16.45.52.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements